With August just around the corner and summer in full swing in the gorgeous Rocky Mountains, where do you go to beat the heat in Denver, Houston, Los Angeles and Chicago? You hop on a plane (or on I-70 west for Denver front rangers) and head to Steamboat Springs, CO. Be sure to pack a few warmer layers because the nights still get cool in the Yampa Valley.
So here goes…along with some suggested add-on options!
Steamboat’s Top 10 August Activities (in no specific order)
1. Hot Air Balloon ride – only takes up the early morning hours, so you’ll have a full day left to enjoy other activities!
2. Botanical Garden walking tour, and to get there, walk or bike along the beautiful Yampa River Core Trail
3. Visit Fish Creek Falls and if hiking is on your agenda, hike the Fish Creek trail or just before you get to Fish Creek Falls (on your left) there’s a great hike to an old uranium mine that has spectacular views of the falls too
4. Tubing down the Yampa River – usually the water is getting low by mid-late August, but not this year with the record melt-off keeping water levels high
5. Take the gondola up for lunch on the mountain, and enjoy the beautiful views as well as some of the trails meandering outside the gondola building
6. Take a dip in the hot springs – either at Strawberry Park or at the Old Town Hot Springs recreational facility where there’s also water slides and pools for fun in the sun
7. Enjoy downtown shopping where you won’t find a national chain store, but instead can explore the unique selection local merchants offer…and if you have kids, don’t miss the photo opportunity on the horse in front of F.M. Light
8. Take a hike or a mountain bike ride at Rabbit Ears Pass, Buffalo Pass, Spring Creek Trail, Mad Creek Trail, Mt. Werner…to name a few…cardio options are plentiful in and around Steamboat Springs or fish the Yampa river for trout.
9. Get a massage or a facial at one of the many spas in town – Kneading Hands and Bella Sol Spa are two local favorites
10. Have a great breakfast to fuel up at the beginning of each activity filled day…where to begin, well here are a few top choices: Creekside, Winona’s, Freshies, The Shack and Johnny B. Good
And depending on when you’re here in August, there are plenty of August events going on in and around Steamboat Springs here’s a sampling:
- Steamboat Wine Festival August 4th-8th
- Ride 4 Yellow August 5th-7th
- Wild West Relay August 12th-13th
- Steamboat All Arts Festival August 18th – 21st
- Routt County Fair August 18th – 21st
- USA Pro Cycling Challenge August 26th – 27th
- Steamboat Triathlon August 28th
- Music at The Strings All month – check schedule
- Pro Rodeo Fri & Sat Nights thru 8/20
- Farmer’s Market Saturdays at 6th Street
So pack your bags, double check that you brought your bathing suit, athletic shoes, sunscreen and camera and head to Steamboat Springs for fun and adventure in the friendliest western town you’ll find in the Rocky Mountains. You might have such a good time you’ll be dreaming about a second home in Ski Town USA® – as the saying goes, people come here for the skiing and stay here for the summers!