Preparing Your Mountain Home for Winter
Autumn has been beautiful here in Steamboat Springs, CO – sunny, blue sky days with temperatures in the mid-upper 70s and cool nights with clear skies. The aspens are golden and vibrant.
While it is easy to get lulled into the false sense that these days could last forever, anyone who has lived in Steamboat Springs, or anywhere in Colorado for that matter, know that these warm days are numbered. At a moment’s notice, the cold and snow will blow in and we will all shift our sights to skiing and playing in the snow.
Don’t let Old Man Winter catch you off guard. Here is a checklist and a short video with tips to help prepare your home for colder days and nights.
Checklist to Winterize Your Steamboat Springs Home
- Lawn, Garden & Deck
- – Fertilize lawn prior to snowfall
- – Put away outdoor cushions, furniture & toys
- – Drain & winterize outdoor faucets & irrigation systems
- – Trim branches that hang over house & power lines
- Windows & Doors
- – Seal gaps & cracks with weatherstripping & caulk
- – Put up storm windows & doors if you have them
- Heating, Ventilating & Air Conditioning
- – Replace furnace filters & humidifier
- – Have a professional inspect heating system
- – Have chimney swept
- – Reverse ceiling fans
- Tools & Machinery
- – Drain & winterize lawn mower & other lawn machinery to store for season
- – Pull out the snow shovels and snowblower & prepare for winter
- Gutters & Roof
- – Clean & inspect gutters & downspouts
- – Drain exposed pipes
- – Wrap pipes with insulation
- Smoke Alarms & Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- – Test and replace batteries as necessary
I made this video a couple years ago but it is still pertinent today. Enjoy!
Now that your home is ready for winter, you will have time to get out there and play in the snow.